It is time for the EU to progress in five policy fields:
- Economic governance, with a new recovery package and a reform of the fiscal rules;
- Security and defence, with improved EU–NATO cooperation and a stronger ‘European pillar’;
- Energy policy, by quickly steering member states away from dependence on Russian fossil fuels while simultaneously ensuring admissible energy prices for consumers and respecting the climate targets;
- Enlargement and neighbourhood policy, by rethinking its aims and creating options for countries that are unlikely to become EU members in the foreseeable future; and
- The rule of law, to safeguard the Union’s values ‘at home’.